Thursday 3 February 2011

Finishing

I need to get a really good smooth finish before I can start painting, otherwise all of the ridges will still be visible in the final prototype. To achieve this finish I've had to use lots of wood filler and fine sandpaper. Doesn't look very pretty but hopefully it will all be worth it when I start spraying.





 I've had a small issue with the design. Originally it would come apart in two halves so that the user could change the battery. However, it would be easier to finish the speaker if it was a whole piece. Consequently, I've had to make a small cut out in the base to allow the battery to be changed. Not the easiest of tasks, and something which could have been done simply on the laser cutter when I originally made my slices. Nevermind.



I can finally see my design coming together! I've used a gloss white paint to match the train from my research. Each half will be joined together with a piece of vibrant orange acrylic in the centre and the same acrylic will be used for the speaker grill on the front.




Believe it or not, this tangled mess should hopefully make my speaker work. It has proved very difficult to solder all of the components together to fit in a small space. Luckily I made space for the circuit board and battery to rest in securely which helped a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment